What are my design options?
Most novels are printed as trade paperbacks, which range in size from 5.5" x 8.5" to 6" x 9". If your book is longer than 300 pages, we recommend the 6" x 9" size, to keep page count, and therefore cost, to a minimum. If your book is significantly shorter than 300 pages, a smaller trim size will give you more pages for a more substantial book.
We offer three trim sizes:
- 6" x 9"
- 5.5" x 8.5"
- 5" x 8"
If you need a different size, please ask. We can make adjustments, but it might cost a little more.
All of the fonts we use are InDesign fonts made especially for printed books. Our recommended fonts for the text of your book are:
- Adobe Garamond Pro
- Adobe Caslon Pro
- Minion Pro
For display fonts, used for your title, author name, etc., we are a lot more flexible. For instance, if your cover designer has used a particular font on the cover, we can use the same font for the title page and half title page.
If there is a particular display font you want to use, let us know.
Headers, footers, and page numbers
Page layout for novels is pretty straightforward. Here are your options:
- Headers with book title (verso) and author name (recto)
- Headers with book title (verso) and chapter title (recto)
- Either of the above headers with page numbers in header at outer margin
- Either of the above headers with page numbers centered at bottom of page
- No headers; page numbers centered at bottom of page
- Page numbers only, in headers at outer margin